Healy O'Connor

Baby who Suffered Burns in Hospital is awarded €70,000

A baby suffered burns by a glove filled with warm water.


A newborn baby suffered burns and blisters while at Cork University Maternity Hospital in 2020. The High Court has approved a €70,000 settlement in the case.

The baby, Ren Cotter was about to undergo a heel prick test and was burned by a glove filled with warm water to stimulate blood flow.

Barrister Doireann O’Mahony told the court the glove was placed beside his left foot causing burns, blistering, redness and pain.

She said the baby had to stay in hospital for several days after the incident and had to have dressings.

A plastic surgeon who had examined the toddler’s left foot earlier this year said the scarring was not particularly noticeable. He has been left with altered pigmentation on his left calf and above his knee area.

The hospital apologised to the boy’s mother Abby Cotter after the incident and liability was admitted in the case.

It was claimed the postnatal testing was completely substandard and the glove was applied to the baby’s skin either too hot or for too long. It was also claimed that the mother was given little to no information.

The terms of that settlement were not disclosed.

View the full story here






























Speak to one of our advisors

Do you need a solicitor in Cork or Dublin? Our injury solicitors will gladly help you with your personal injury claim or any kind of matter.